The post lists the typical, frequently asked questions asked about any hiking trail to organize it, prepare for it, and understand it better.
Commute to base town, hire help, and find accommodation
- Reach the base village, say from Delhi
- Multiple trails to the summit.
- Cost of via personal car/bike and the cost via public transport
- Typical timings of public transport
- Book the bus/train tickets
- Teahouse trek or not
- Availability of gear on rent
- Distances between shelters or accommodations enroute
- Book accommodation, especially govt rest houses
- Cost of suggested accommodation
- Contacts of guides and porters
- Other local contacts like those of shopkeepers, rest house or guest house staff, bus inquiry, forest office, local police, local hotel in base village, etc.
Trekking and trail conditions
- A typical itinerary or two
- Child or elderly friendly
- Best approach if more than one approach
- Hike breakup and trek profile
- What to expect on the trail in each month like snow, lack of water, water crossings, whiteouts, wildlife, etc.
- Best time to be on a trail
- Typical night temperature in each season
- Packing depending on weather
- Sections that may need specific gear like crampons, shoes with ankle support, ropes, ice axe, etc.
- Distance and altitude difference between camping grounds and other waypoints
- Water availability
- Food availability
- Tricky portions and what’s required to negotiate
- Need a guide or not
- GPS logs
- Rating of trails on SAC scale
- Time and milestone cutoffs on handy cards
- Local police contact
- Local shops
- Permanent, on-trail landmarks
- Water points on the trail
- Previously reported wildlife issues and season
Interesting facts and stories about the trek
- Geographic region and mountain range of the trail and summit
- Peaks and valleys visible from the summit and the trail
- USP and takeaway of the trek
- Any facts of historic, cultural, or political importance about the base village, the region or the summit
- Any mythological importance of the summit or the trail
- Accommodation at the base village
- Public transport to return and where to book
- Timings of transport from nearest town and connecting conveyances
- Sync time to reach Delhi with office and metro timings
- Approximate breakdown of all involved costs
Leave your contact in comments if you want to based your frequently asked questions (FAQs) on this template. If you are a trekkers who finds it difficult to write a travelogue of your adventures, follow this structure.